The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

Google Summit Hosted in Stamford High

Stamford High School hosted its first Google Summit event on Sept. 16 and 17. Photo by Ilir Hulaj

Ilir Hulaj, Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: A version of this story was published in the Stamford Advocate.

Over the weekend of September 16 and 17, Stamford High hosted its first “Google Summit” event. The Google Summit was a technology-oriented event organized by SHS Head of Media Mary George. The Google Summit was an opportunity for individuals to gather and learn something new, whether it be about Google or technology in general.

An assortment of people were present at the event, including a mix of teachers from many schools, tech geeks, and many others. Peter Logli, program manager for Google, stopped by to give an extremely informative presentation with several other impressive speakers. George said she attended a summit in New Hampshire last year, where she obtained the contact information of someone who was able to direct her to Logli.

The summit at SHS consisted of panels rotating every hour, giving everyone different opportunities to experience the different presentations. Attendees got to widen their understanding of tools such as Google Classroom and Google Drive. There were many panels, including virtual reality designs and new education software that could be used for future students. There were many new education programs that teachers were able to give input on; crash courses on Google Drive were available and particularly informative.

Overall, the event was an apparent success, despite not reaching the expected turnout.The potential for another Google Summit in the future seems unlikely, as an extreme amount of work was put into the event and getting into contact with all the Google hosts. “I had to attend multiple events in order to get into contact with all of the hosts,” George said. “It was an extremely tedious process.”

Sponsors of the event included Intel, Acer, GoGuardian and other high-profile companies, and getting these sponsors was no easy task. Student volunteers made up most of the staff and were extremely helpful, with the event running smoothly overall. However, according to George, “support for the event would need to increase drastically for another event to be possible.”

The Google Summit was extremely informative, and hopefully another one can occur at SHS in the future.