Boys and Girls Basketball: Season Recap

Boys and Girls Basketball: Season Recap

Sam Berkun, Sports Editor

The Stamford Black Knights girl’s basketball team got off to a strong start this season even after losing their 4-year starter and top scorer, Tiana England. Last season the team finished with a 25-2 record, and won both the FCIAC and Class LL state championship. With the help of freshman, Megan Landsiedel, to fill in at the point guard position, and key role players such as Alexa Kellner, Marthe Guirand, and Brooke Kelly, the Black Knights successfully won the City Championship along with their first 5 games.

The team went 20-6 this season, and carried their momentum from their 10-game win streak into the FCIAC championship. The Knights dominated in the FCIAC quarterfinals against Danbury (66-42) and in the semifinals against Ridgefield (59-52),  but fell short to No. 1 ranked Trumbull who had beat them once before (39-36) during the regular season.

In states, the team did not seem to be deterred, as they beat up on Staples during a home game. The Black Knights’ season ended in dramatic fashion when New London’s, Nicholson, had a put back at the buzzer to send Stamford home empty handed in the Class LL quarterfinal-round (58-56).  Coach Burns said, “sometimes the ball doesn’t bounce your way.” Despite their losses, the team looks forward to another great year next season.  

As for Black Knight boys basketball, the team embraced its new coach, Zach Smith, after losing their long- time Stamford alumni, coach Danny Melzer. The team was lead by senior, and “walking-bucket,” Nico Laveris as he averaged just under 19 points per game in FCIAC play. Laveris was chosen for Second Team All-FCIAC. The Knights also rallied around one of their top defensive players Tevin St John. Although the team won only 6 of the 20 games they played, they came up just short for many of the games they lost. For instance, they lost by only 3 points to Fairfield Ludlowe (60-57), and by a 2 point deficit to Darien (55-53). These close games were decided by a matter of one additional possession.

The Black Knights also fought hard for the chance to win the City Championship with a win against Westhill (65-60), later losing to Class S. State Champion’s Trinity Catholic (70-75). The team did not qualify for the CIAC or FCIAC tournaments. After losing some crucial seniors next year, the team will have to focus their concerns on who will step up and assume their leadership roles for the next season.