Stamford High Athletes Take on College Sports

Alex Lemekha, Staff Writer

Athletics are a very big part of our school community at Stamford High, and athletes make up a large percentage of our student population. Many of the athletes at SHS have the opportunity to further their athletic careers past the high school level, and here are a few of them:

Photo Credit: Kaitlyn Hutter
Photo courtesy of: Kaitlyn Hutter

Kaitlyn Hutter

Sport: Lacrosse, Midfield

In the spring of 2016, you’ll see Kaitlyn Hutter running down the field at Stamford High, but in the spring of 2017, she willl be stepping onto the field as a Golden Bear at Western New England University. Hutter started playing lacrosse in the spring of seventh grade for Stamford Youth Lacrosse. When asked why she wanted to continue playing a varsity sport in college, Hutter stated, “It’s a sport that I love and I enjoy being part of a team. In college it will be nice to start off with a nice group of girls that I’m comfortable with.” Over the summer, Hutter played with SoundCrosse Girls’ Lacrosse program and was recruited by Western New England. In the fall, Hutter was invited to room with a current player for an overnight, and committed to the school a few weeks later. Hutter wanted a school that was small in size, close to home, had a good business program, and gave her the opportunity to play a sport. Western New England was the perfect fit for her.

DannyPitch
Photo courtesy of: Daniel Meduri

Daniel Meduri

Sport: Baseball, Pitcher

Daniel Meduri is keeping his options open during his college recruitment. Southern Vermont College, Avery UCONN Point and Manhattanville College all show interest in Meduri. The senior pitcher began playing tee-ball when he was four years old, which sparked his love for baseball. When asked why he wanted to continue the sport, Meduri said, “I have the chance to play in Major League Baseball (MLB). I’m going to college to play a sport I love and have a passion for.” Meduri began his search for the right college in the fall of 2015, and has a pitching video so coaches can see what he can do. Next spring Meduri hopes to take his pitching abilities to Avery UCONN Point since it is Division II in sports, close to home, a state school and has a very good baseball team.

Gilmar Barrios

Sport: Cross Country and Track

Gilmar Barrios is lacing up his spikes and getting ready to run at Sacred Heart University this coming fall. The senior cross country and track captain began running competitively in the seventh grade and looks forward to what lies ahead. When asked about his love for running, Barrios responded, “I can see myself improving. When I reach my goals I move toward higher ones to see how far I can push myself.” Throughout his recruitment process Barrios contacted the coach and continues to stay in touch throughout his seasons. The coach looked for improvement, invited Barrios for an official visit and made an offer. The Division I school was a great fit for Barrios because of their physical therapy program, closeness to home and the small size. Barrios was always a competitive runner throughout his high school career. In his junior year, Barrios was awarded First Team All-Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC) for cross country. In his senior year, Barrios went on to compete in the New England Championships for cross country and was named All State.

Tiana England

Sport: Basketball, Point Guard

Tiana England (left), who commited to St. John's, accompanied by Red Storm assistant coach Jonath Nicholas (right).
Photo courtesy of Tiana England
Tiana England (left), who commited to St. John’s, accompanied by Red Storm assistant coach Jonath Nicholas (right).

Stamford girls basketball star point guard, Tiana England, will be stepping onto the court at St. John’s University for the 2016-17 season. England began her love for the game when she started to play in second grade. England’s Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Basketball coach helped throughout the recruitment process by contacting college coaches. England’s AAU team was ranked 2nd in the nation and there were about 40 college coaches at each game. When asked why she wanted to further her basketball career, England said, “I’m in love with it. I’m in love with the process and the hard work.” After her overnight at St. John’s, England fell in love with all aspects of the school, especially the location and family atmosphere of the team. England began her high school career as a starter and went on to score her 1000th point in her junior year. England also went on to break Stamford High’s all-time scoring record during her senior year. For her past four years at Stamford High, England has been the leader for the team and as her season begins to wind down, she looks forward to furthering her career.