Boys and Girls Basketball Play Big Games Vs. Trumbull Tonight

Teddy Marantz, Sports Editor

Wednesday, February 17 may be the biggest basketball day of the year at Stamford High School. Both the girls’ and boys’ teams will take on the Trumbull Eagles.
The boys will make the trek to Trumbull High School for a huge game, as Trumbull is second in the FCIAC standings with just one win ahead of Stamford. This game is a chance for the boys’ team to make a statement.

The boys’ team only has two losses in the FCIAC this year, and both losses could be attributed to early free throw struggles. In an earlier loss to Brien McMahon High School, SHS went 6/17 from the line, a mere 35.3%. McMahon went 11/14 from the line, a much better 78.6%. The Black Knights lost by a mere seven points. Not enough? In their loss to the Danbury High School Mad Hatters, SHS shot 6/13 from the line and once again lost by seven to an opponent who now sits atop the FCIAC standings.

Since the loss to Danbury, SHS has shown that they have overcome this free throw shooting obstacle. In wins against St. Josephs, Westhill, Greenwich, Fairfield Warde, and Bridgeport Central, the boys shot a combined 50/84, or 59.5% from the free throw line. This is a monumental improvement from the 40% combined free throw percentage in the losses against Brien McMahon and Danbury.

Sitting on a five game win streak, the boys ask for the support of Black Knight Nation in Trumbull for a big game with playoff implications.

The SHS girls team has a similarly important game tomorrow, as they host Trumbull at 7:00. At 14-1, Trumbull is just one win ahead of the Lady Knights and a victory would land the girls at the top of the FCIAC standings.

Stamford’s most recent game resulted in a 59-51 victory over the formerly undefeated Fairfield Warde Mustangs. A win on Wednesday would show that the Lady Knights mean business.
Included in this senior night is Captain guard Tiana England, who looks to continue an FCIAC Player of the Year caliber season. England will go off to St. Johns University in New York next year to play Division 1 basketball for the Red Storm.

Other seniors include Maria Zecena, Madison Johnson, and Mackenzie Brown.

“Being a part of the program for the last 4 years has been such an unforgettable experience! It’s so crazy how fast it’s gone by but I’m glad I got to spend it with such amazing girls. It’s been great to go through all of the memories with my fellow seniors and I love being able to call them some of my best friends,” said Brown.

Johnson told the Round Table, “Senior night is really bittersweet. I’m so excited for it but can’t believe basketball is coming to an end! These 4 years have been so much fun and I’ll cherish the friendships I’ve made forever!”

For both of the big games, Black Knight Nation will need to rally behind their athletes and find their way to either the Kuczo gym for the girls’ Senior Night game, or the boys’ big game in Trumbull at Trumbull High School’s main gym.

A fan bus will be provided for the boys’ game in Trumbull. Sign up on Twitter by direct messaging @BK_Nation_ or contact Teddy Marantz via email at [email protected].