Golf Season Wrap-Up

Courtesy of CreativeCommons.org

Eve Critelli, Staff Writer

The boys golf team wrapped up their season on June 4 with their final match, playing with Westhill, ending with a 2-15 record. While their record may not reflect this, the players took tremendous strides of improvement throughout the 2015 season. After their first match, they had a combined score of 263 strokes between the top four of the five starting players, junior Ben Paz, sophomore Woody McGuiness, sophomore Anthony Yantorno, senior captain Suhas Vishwa,  and junior Bryan Schwartz, averaging 65.8 strokes per player. However, by their final match, the boys achieved a score of 190 strokes and an average of only 48 strokes per player. When asked about the season, Head Coach William Casolo focused primarily on this great progress. For him, the highlight of the season was “seeing the growth and development of every player.”   

With only one senior on the team this year, captain Suhas Vishwa, a majority of the players were juniors and underclassmen. Although it was the first year for many, Casolo noted that all had a “true passion for the game.” 

“We would like more players to come out for the team. It is the only time you will be able to play free golf. Not to mention, you play at the best country clubs in the state,” Casolo joked when asked what his goals were for next year’s season. In addition to expanding the program, he hopes to continue the progress the team made this year and to consistently shoot in the 40s.

Overall, Casolo claimed that this was his “favorite season as a coach because it was a learning experience, as well as a teaching experience.” “It was a lot of fun,” he stated. The boys look forward to another season and hope to gain even more kids next year.