National Signing Day 2015

A+photo+from+Stamford+native%2C+Thomas+Costigans+Instagram+feed+as+he+signs+his+letter+of+intent+to+Bryant+on+Wednesday.+

A photo from Stamford native, Thomas Costigan’s Instagram feed as he signs his letter of intent to Bryant on Wednesday.

Teddy Marantz, Staff Writer

Wednesday February 4, 2015: National Signing Day. For hundreds of high school football players this is a day where the power is in their hands, they decide their future. Connecticut had quite a few players sign, and to some big colleges.

Stamford native, Thomas Costigan has said to be able to do it all. Mostly seen in the tight end position on offense, he has also filled in for a running back position and even quarterback. Costigan a senior at Trinity Catholic, has committed to play for Bryant University and plans to major in math.

Not too far from Stamford High School lies New Canaan High School, home of the Rams and couple of star football players, defensive end Zach Allen and wide receiver Alex LaPolice.

National signing day for Allen meant making the decision of officially committing to Boston College. LaPolice will also call Boston his city next year as he signed his letter of intent to attend Harvard University.

LaPolice, who had two touchdowns in the state championship game, had an offer to play baseball at Boston College, but chose to go with football at Harvard despite having an offer from Yale University.

The top recruit out of Connecticut is Christian Wilkins defensive tackle at Suffield Academy was ranked 32 overall on ESPN top 300. Wilkins received a huge amount of offers from football powerhouses such as Florida State, Duke and even National Champs, Ohio State. Ultimately he chose to sign with Clemson.

As far as around the country goes, the three top recruits in the nation were all defensive linemen. The first overall recruit, Byron Cowart, had offers from all four teams who competed for the National Championship: Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State and Florida State, however he chose to take his talents to Auburn.

Second in the rankings is a defensive tackle named Terry Beckner Jr. Beckner is from East Saint Louis, he decided to sign with a school in the state he grew up in, which is now being more common among top athletes. Beckner became an official Missouri Tiger alongside two other recruits that were also featured in ESPN’s top 300.

Rounding out the top three is defensive tackle, Trenton Thompson from Georgia. Similar to Beckner, Thompson chose to sign with Georgia and become a Bulldog. However, unlike Missouri and Beckner, Thompson was one of fourteen recruits for Georgia who were in the ESPN top 300.

One recruit was especially in the news after signing with UCLA. What makes his signing bigger than the signing of others? His name is Cordell Broadus; still don’t recognize him? He’s the son of Calvin Broadus, better known as Snoop Dogg.

National signing day is the first chance for these kids to show maturity and make a life changing decision. All around the country kids were forced to choose from multiple colleges at which they would live their dream of playing college football. Congratulations to recruits all over the country.