Stamford High Boys’ Hockey Ready for a Strong Comeback

Senior Ryan Sexton and junior Matt Tuccunardi take the ice during practice while senior Andrew Kydes and freshman Shane Sexton look on from the boards.

Courtesy of Ryan Sexton

Madison Johnson, Staff Writer

The Stamford High boys’ hockey team is gearing up for their season that is right around the corner.  The team will make their debut at the hockey jamboree on Saturday, December 13, at Terry Connors Rink.

Trinity, Westhill, King Low Heywood Highschool, and our very own Black Knight hockey teams will compete amongst fans from all four schools.

Although the team’s record was a rather upsetting 3-17 last season, they are optimistic about the season ahead.  Junior captain Christopher Clemmenson shared that “we had a lot of injuries last season,” which contributed to their not so fantastic record.  Clemmenson believes that the team should do okay this year with their schedule.

Senior captain Zach Rood added that he believes that the hockey team “will surprise a lot of teams.”  Rood believes that the team can win more games this year “if we play up to our full potential and every player steps up and does their job.”

The team has been preparing for the season by playing in fall leagues and training at various facilities, as well as practicing on their own.

With fresh legs and a positive outlook, Clemmenson is “very excited for the jamboree.”  Clemmenson likes their odds against the other teams and he “thinks we will do well against the teams we are playing.”  This is due to the fact, “other teams have lost a few players,” Clemmenson adds.

Rood agreed with Clemmenson and added that this jamboree is especially exciting because it will be his last.  Rood is “looking forward to representing our school in this event.”

Everyone should come to the hockey jamboree at Terry Connors on Saturday at 3:30 to support our Black Knights!