Boys Soccer Qualifies for States with 5-4 win over Bridgeport Central

Courtesy of Ozzie Acuna

Boys Soccer Team huddle prior to the game.

Ryan Sexton, Staff Writer

A tough 3-0 loss to Westhill High school last Wednesday that extended the Stamford High soccer team’s losing streak to three on the season, the Knights were determined to end the losing streak against a 2-6 Bridgeport Central team on the road.

With a 5-9-2 record coming into Friday night’s match, the Knights would need only one more win to qualify for the State tournament. “The captains stressed how important it was to forget about the Westhill game and focus on winning our next game.” said junior defender Ariel Sandoval. The match was close in its entirety. At the end of the first half the Knights were down 2-1. Senior Christian Tomaj commented on his team’s first half performance. “The first half wasn’t our best soccer. All we had to do was forget about how we started the game and win the second half.”

Junior Leao Valladares scored the only first half goal for the Knights. In the second half the match became an offensive shootout with goals coming from Seniors Seydina Diallo and Luis Maradiaga, and another from Valladares. Later in the match Senior Goalkeeper Andrew Kydes attempted to contest a Bridgeport player for the ball and was kicked in the face, injuring his jaw. Senior Christian Tomaj stepped up and finished the game as goalkeeper making 3 saves.

Tied 4-4 with just under 10 minutes left in the match, Junior Leao Valladares was fouled in the box by a Bridgeport defender and was awarded a penalty kick. A perfect penalty by Schinella put the Knights in the lead as the eventual game winner. “Im so proud of my team. We were down at the half but we fought back to get this crucial win. Now we have States to look forward to.” said Senior Christian Tomaj. The Kights will face 5-5-4 New Canaan in their final regular season contest on 10/22 at New Canaan.