The Round Table

Tesla is Changing the Game

Nick Lucente, Science/Technology Editor

By now you have all heard of the company Tesla. We have all seen the electric cars driving around. They look sleek and are great for the environment, but there is much more to Tesla than just cars.

First let me explain how innovative this company truly is. The company was founded in 2003 by JB Straubel, Martin Eberhard, Ian Wright, Elon Musk, and Marc Tarpenning. The current CEO of the company is the man, Elon Musk. He has been in control of the company since 2008 and since then the company has made huge leeway.

The company has two cars on the market currently, the Model S and the Model X. The Model S is their sedan model while the Model X is their SUV model that provides a ton of space. Each of them can be charged at home while the owner sleeps and is completely charged and ready to go in the morning. It’s great for those that live in Stamford and work in Manhattan, if you own the standard home charger that comes with the car, you can get to work and back home on a two and a half hour charge. I’m assuming that you sleep more than two and half hours at night so this is incredibly convenient and will save you tons on gas in the long run.

However, Tesla is more than just a car company. They have been working how to make homes more efficient as well. First they have the Solar Roof, a new type of solar panel that appears like normal roof tiles that absorbs energy throughout the day to keep your home running. Then there is the Powerwall, a huge “Home Battery” that stores all of the energy that the Solar Roof accumulates throughout the day, allowing your house to operate even when the sun goes down. Then there is the Powerpack, the thing that brings it all together. A machine that helps personalize the amount of energy used and your overall experience in your home.

All together, Tesla is a serious company that has the potential to change the world for the better. However, it is a pretty penny to get all of this for your home. That being said, you do save money on gas, so it’s a trade off. You just have to see what works for you and go with it.

About the Writer
Nick Lucente, Science / Technology Editor

Nick Lucente is a senior at SHS and is thrilled to be apart of the editing staff here at The Round Table. Nick is the editor of the science and technology...