“Twelve Days of Christmas,” But Only Eleven Days of Break?

Are student unable to enjoy their holiday because it is too short?

Amy Liebman, Staff Writer

Nothing screams holiday spirit like the short break students are given for the Christmas season. Students are given 11 days of break, yet the well-known song clearly states, “12 days of Christmas.” Something just isn’t adding up.  

Not only is there an insufficient amount of vacation days, but teachers also give out enough homework for an entire year (which they save to give out for the very last week of it). Students work hard day in and day out, staying up until the middle of the night to finish homework, and 11 days of break is not nearly enough of a reward.  We deserve more time to spend with our family and friends as well as time for getting ahead in our schoolwork, and taking an actual break for relaxation. It’s not truly a vacation if the whole time is spent studying and working. Junior Megan McKeever said, “we need a balance between work and fun.”

In school, students are being prepared for the next level of their education, so in high school, students are preparing for college. Even college students are given longer breaks of up to an entire month; perhaps the length of school vacations should be incorporated into this preparation process.

Over the course of the past few years, the Christmas break has been slowly growing in small increments, starting with nine days in the school years of 2010-11 and 2011-12, increasing to 10 days in 2013-14, finally upgrading to 11 days in 2014 (including weekend days).  Hopefully, this growth of the winter vacations will continue, but is this gradual increase really enough?

An immediate change is necessary for not only Stamford High students, but for students everywhere. Students devote all of their time to their education, with little to spare for their own enjoyment. From waking up early in the morning to catch the bus, taking notes and being fed new knowledge throughout the day, followed by after school activities and late nights doing homework, the school day never ends! A long break has been well deserved.

If students had the extra time, they could do much more over their vacation, such as Junior Katherine Reiter who said, “I would go on vacation or go to look at colleges, since those absences aren’t able to be exempt [sic].” Also, students who play a spring sport are at a disadvantage since they may not be able to look at colleges in the spring.

The Christmas break would be the only time for many students to go on college tours, yet it is being cut short, which is unfair to them. Junior Emily Wharmby said, “if I had more time over break, I would come back to school less stressed out and more prepared and productive.” Students need the extra time and if we are to be successful in school, then the break must be made longer.