Gym Requirement for Athletes

Eve Critelli playing field hockey

Eve Critelli, Staff Writer

As most students know, there is a graduation requirement at Stamford High School of two semesters of Physical Education. Students must take one semester of freshman PE, and then a second semester of gym sophomore year, in which they can choose between a variety of courses such as team sports, dance, cardio, or weightlifting. However, I believe that students who play on at least two Stamford High sports teams should be exempted from having to take this second semester.

If the PE requirement to graduate is in effect to promote exercise and encourage students to be active, there is no reason to hold student athletes to the same requirement, as they put in a tremendous amount of work on the field, court, or track.

For example, sports practices are typically two or more hours everyday after school, double that of any gym class, and are often held on weekends as well. Under such circumstances, athletes spend at least 12 hours at practice in any given week, not even including games or meets. On the other hand, a student will spend at most five hours in gym class, even including a “long” period which only occurs every seven school days.

A single sports season is typically the same length as one school quarter, although it can often be even longer. Playing two sports, therefore, would technically be equal to one semester of the school year. In my opinion, the sheer number of hours of exercise and hard work that goes into even just one sports season is more than equivalent to that of a semester of gym.

Furthermore, requiring two-season athletes to take gym unnecessarily prevents them from being able to take other classes. For example, having been out on medical freshman year, I was unable to complete my gym class. I am now forced to take gym this year, as a junior, to fill the requirement, despite the fact that I play on three sports teams at Stamford High. Having to spend a semester in gym stopped me from being able to take more challenging classes in its place.

While some student athletes may enjoy gym class and choose to take it anyway, it should not be a requirement of those who play sports and would prefer to take a more challenging or enjoyable class instead.