Mayor Martin Holds Press Conference in SHS Lobby

Updates given regarding traffic safety on Strawberry Hill Ave

Emily Magyari

Stamford Mayor David Martin speaking in SHS lobby

Justyce Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

Stamford Mayor David Martin  held a press conference at Stamford High School on Friday, December 16, to address the implementation of the new traffic measures in the front of the school following the death of 18-year-old student Karina Tinajero-Arreguin.

As much of the community is aware, on Saturday, November 6, Tinajero was struck by a Chevrolet as she was crossing Strawberry Hill Avenue. This road, and the intersections on the road, have been the center numerous injuries and fatalities in recent years. Thus, in light of this accident, the city has brought back a crosswalk in front of the high school.

Martin and his team made it clear that this two-step project has moved out of the first stage, which was putting the crosswalk back. They are now moving into the second stage, in which they are trying to commission a fully visible signal to alert drivers. This signal of “flashing lights” is intended to have the effect of slowing traffic, and making drivers more aware. This may result in increased control of some of the turning movements, that have contributed to 30 percent of accidents on the road.

When asked about the timing of the project, Martin replied that his team was moving as quickly as possible, being that the incident was very sudden. The mayor noted that, if anything, the city is slightly behind schedule, as the press conference was meant to be held a week prior. However, Martin stated that they are working towards a “bigger plan” which will take “more time and more money.”

Principal Raymond Manka also stated that he and his team of administrators are working on ways to not only help prevent further accidents from happening, but also brainstorming ways to make pedestrians more aware of the traffic around them.

Emily Magyari
SHS Principal Raymond Manka speaking on traffic safety

Mayor Martin, his team, and the team of administrators at Stamford High School have exhausted all of their efforts, and have worked around the clock to insure that another preventable fatality is avoided. As Martin said, “Let’s not wait until we lose the life of another child. That’s too late.”