Student Death Prompts Immediate Change

Jana Hulaj

Safety improvement plan for Strawberry Hill Ave

Griffin Olshan, Editor-in-Chief

It has been just over a week since the death of SHS senior Karina Tinajero. Since then, there has been an immediate push for traffic regulations on Strawberry Hill Avenue. That push has led to action, as there is now a permanent crosswalk in front of the School, along with more traffic signs, and further plans to install a traffic signal at that crosswalk. In addition, Principal Raymond Manka has established a memorial scholarship in her honor.

At a press conference held on the front steps of SHS on Thursday, November 10, Stamford’s Traffic Engineer Robert Zaitooni proposed many new traffic regulations aside from the crosswalk and traffic light. There are many issues when it comes to Strawberry Hill Avenue that make it unsafe for a pedestrian to cross, one being speeding. Zaitooni announced that there is research being done to look into textures of the pavement surface that will influence drivers to go slower. Another large issue is the drop off loop at Stamford High. Since it is so short, it causes lots of backup on Strawberry Hill Avenue. This leads to traffic backed up in the southbound lane, resulting in students exiting vehicles in the middle of the street, and walking over to the sidewalk. The city is looking into altering the drop off loop in order to make more room for cars, which would lead to fewer students having to cross Strawberry Hill Avenue.

New crosswalk in front of SHS steps on Strawberry Hill Ave
Emily Magyari

Zaitooni also told us that the city was as far as three weeks into improving pedestrian safety in front of the school due to previous complaints regarding the lack of a crosswalk. He added that he was at SHS on Friday, November 4, the day before the crash observing pedestrian behavior. Zaitooni then admitted that the crash was very tragic, but it jump started the efforts to improve pedestrian safety on Strawberry Hill Avenue.

Currently, Zaitooni is awaiting state approval on a pedestrian-activated traffic light. One being constructed in front of the school would be the only traffic light in all of Stamford that is in the middle of a street, and not at an intersection. The city has reacted to the tragedy in a swift manner, and the proposals indicate that there are plans to do much more.