Watkins Gets Five Years

Faces Possible Additional Five-Year Sentence

State+of+Connecticut+Superior+Court+on+March+11.+

Paulomi Rao

State of Connecticut Superior Court on March 11.

Paulomi Rao, Editor-in-Chief

After making a tearful apology, former Stamford High teacher Danielle Watkins was sentenced to five years in jail, a five-year suspended sentence, and 15 years probation on March 11.

In a courtroom packed with security guards and Watkins’s family, Judge Gary White reviewed several facts about the case. Beginning in September 2013, Watkins began having sexual relations with a student and providing him and another minor with drugs. This inappropriate relationship escalated to threatening him over who he would walk with at graduation.

“I accept full responsibility and I am sorry. I know why I am here, but I don’t know how I got here.”

After acknowledging Watkins initial arrest for the sex scandal, her interference with a search warrant in which she tried to hide evidence, and the recent threat made by Watkins to the student in a local coffee shop, the state prosecutor noted that Watkins showed disrespect for the law, the court, and the principles citizens must follow while living in society. In a statement regarding that claim, her attorney Rob Serafinowicz said, “We must remember we are here today for what my client did…and not what the school system fostered.”  He added, “My client acknowledges that she has issues to fix and wants to move on. She has accepted responsibility.”

“Be nice to my daughter.”

Both of Watkins’s parents were there to give statements on her behalf. Acknowledging his tight-knit family, her father asked the court to “be nice to [his] daughter.” “We didn’t know what she was going through, but now somebody will take time off from work when she gets out. The care and love we show her will help her get back on the right track,” he said. Noting that “family takes care of family,” Watkins’s father told the court that they were just trying to move on with her life. Crying, her mother echoed similar thoughts, and said, “[Watkins] didn’t get the proper treatment before, but now has a very strong support group.”

Watkins teary statement to the courtroom was rather straightforward. Handcuffed, Watkins said, “I want to apologize to the victims and their families and all my former students. I accept full responsibility and I am sorry. I know why I am here, but I don’t know how I got here. In these past few years, I am not the same person. I will carry this for the rest of my life…I know I can now deal with it and move on. But students need to come first; policies need to change. I ask that you show mercy and return me to my children as soon as possible.”

While the judge acknowledged that the situation wasn’t entirely her fault, but also partially the fault of a feeling on the part of Stamford schools to “protect their own,” the prosecutor cited the statistics. “It was not a one-time event… she did this for her own purpose and pleasure. It needs to be addressed today; it needs to be addressed in her sentence,” she said.

In addition, although Judge White accepted Watkins’s showing of responsibility and remorse, he said, “She abused responsibilities of trust she had and gave the back of her hand to the criminal justice process. Although her children are unfortunately suffering, they’re not suffering because of what the court did or what the school facilitated. Her children are suffering due to [Watkins’s] conduct…her behavior is outrageous and not tolerable.”

Judge White also ordered that after her release, Watkins should have no contact with the victims or unsupervised contact with minors. In addition, she is not allowed to hold a teaching, tutoring, or any similar job. Watkins will also be forced to register for the public sex offender’s list, which will include her name for the next 10 years.