Journalism Students attend Journalism Symposium

Stamford High School Round Table editors huddle together for warmth, just kidding, they’re just taking a nice picture.

Bailey Bitetto, Sports Editor

This past Friday October 24, a select few members of the Stamford High Round Table attended the 7th annual High School Journalism Symposium at Norwalk Community College.

Journalism students from Norwalk High, McMahon High, Darien High and Westhill High were also in attendance and were able to show off their school’s newspaper for everyone to see.

All the students were given the opportunity to attend short 30 minute workshops on various journalistic topics such as; Interviewing, Feature Writing, Broadcasting and Sports Writing.

Students walked out of those workshops “looking a lot smarter” joked event organizer Lori Soderlind. Students were able to ask journalists such as Dave Ruden, local sports journalist, questions about how to better their school’s paper. A student from Norwalk High, who is also their sports broadcaster on their show, The Paw Print asked Ruden if he thinks reporting on national sports news or local sports news, is more effective. Ruden answered by saying “since you run a high school paper, it would be better to report on things going on inside your school, anyone can go onto ESPN and read about what happened last night in the New York Giants game last night, but where else can you read about that standout freshman who made the varsity soccer team. Keep it local.”

Our advisor, Mr. Ringel, along with all the other schools advisors were able to meet up for a short period of time to talk about what works and what might not work best for their paper. They shared ideas, future plans and funny stories about their students. “It was very interesting to see how different schools in the area go about doing the same thing we do” says Ringel.

All in all the conference left students excited to try new things in the classroom, “it was very insightful, I can’t wait to put my new found knowledge to good use” – Senior Sam Berkrot.