Principal Donna Valentine and Administrator Roth Nordin Arrested

Rodney Bass named interim principal

Mike Nunziante, Editor-in-Chief

Between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Thursday October 2, Stamford High School Principal Dr. Donna Valentine and Assistant Principal Roth Nordin were arrested on charges of failing to report to authorities the alleged inappropriate relationship between Stamford High teacher Danielle Watkins and an 18-year-old student, along with Watkins’ alleged supplying of marijuana to that student and another.

According to a press release from the Stamford Police Department, Valentine and Nordin were made aware of allegations against Watkins from independent sources as early as December 2013. The two administrators then allegedly conducted an independent investigation without notifying the Department of Children and Families (DCF).  According to Connecticut law, if school officials have any suspicions of child abuse or neglect, they must notify the DCF within 12 hours.

Stamford Police, working in coordination with the States Attorney’s Office, began to investigate the failure to report allegations in August 2014. Arrest warrants were issued and both turned themselves in to the Stamford Police Department Thursday.

Long-time Stamford administrative veteran Rodney Bass will be the interim principal until further notice. No direct replacement has been appointed for Nordin. Students who have Nordin as an administrator can see any administrator or Dean of Students Raphael Escobar with any issues.

Check back for more updates on this developing story.