Stock Market Club Celebrates End of Successful Year

Mike Nunziante, Staff Writer

Stamford High School’s S.T.A.G. stock market club came to a close yesterday with an end-of-year finale, complete with prominent guest speakers, high spirits, and a profound optimism looking ahead to next year.

Steps to American Greatness was created last year by current juniors Joseph Vukel and Guan Guo in order to unite fellow like-minded Stamford High students interested in pursuing careers in finance and the stock market. The club seeks to creatively foster its members’ passion for the art of investment, and hopes to catalyze a newfound fervor throughout the Black Knight student body in regards to the world of finance.

Vukel commented on the success of S.T.A.G.’s closing celebration: “Putting together this event was a bit of a struggle. There was a lot of planning involved; countless exchanged emails and phone calls were made and contacting our guest speakers was difficult at times, but it was well worth it.”

These guest speakers happened to be S.T.A.G.’s most prominent so far. The afternoon included a discussion led by Frank Lockwood and Tracy Byrnes. Lockwood, who is currently Vice President of Investments at UBS, participated in a mock-interview style Q&A conducted by Byrnes, who is an anchor at Fox 5 News. Both shared their advice to the aspiring financiers, and were impressed by the club’s persistence and eagerness to impress upon the student body the importance of the stock market.

“I’m floored by what S.T.A.G. has done so far,” noted Lockwood after the discussion. “The fact that S.T.A.G.’s young men and women stay after school and are involved with the club during the summertime is incredible.”

Lockwood added his praise regarding the determination of the students involved with S.T.A.G., whom he is certain are taking “the first few steps toward leading very successful lives.”

Other guest speakers that have coordinated with S.T.A.G. were Bob Salomon of the Salomon Brothers and Frank Geremia, who manages a financial services firm in New Jersey.

The club’s officers also discussed future plans toward the end of the event, highlighting the need for incoming freshmen and upcoming underclassmen to carry on the legacy created by S.T.A.G. over the past year.

“We’re excited to have younger students joining the club,” notes Vukel, who is certain that underclassmen fervor  will be the driving force behind S.T.A.G. in its upcoming years after he and other current officers graduate. The club officers (including Vukel, Guo, Soren Rodriguez, and Zack Geremia) along with other members will be publicizing the club in business classes next year.

“Our long term goal is to continue S.T.A.G. through college,” commented club officer Soren Rodriguez. “Ultimately, we want to expand and get exposure in different parts of the country.”

For now, though, S.T.A.G. is something Stamford High can truly call its own. All of the officers agreed that their main focus will be improving the club on a “micro-level,” and are planning on augmenting certain aspects of the organization so that the club is geared to have an even more successful second year.

S.T.A.G. meetings will be held in room 263 in the business department starting again in the fall of the 2014-15 school year.