SHS Alumnus is Now Our Newest Math Teacher

SHS alumnus Richard Frattaroli

Ayla Guttman, Staff Writer

On February 13th, Richard Frattaroli had his first day as a full time teacher. However, this was not his first time at Stamford High School; he graduated from SHS  in 1999. After graduating, he went to UConn so he could become a teacher. A fun fact is that during his time at UConn, Mr. Ringel – the man behind the Round Table – was his roommate!!!  

While Frattaroli was at UConn, he changed his mind from focusing on teaching and went on to get his real estate license. He also managed stores and did some landscaping. In his last real estate job, Frattaroli was in an office surrounded by a lot of older people and realized he was teaching them how to use technology a lot of the time. This realization sparked his interest to go back to school and finish getting qualified to be a teacher. Once Frattaroli finished school, he started working as a substitute teacher. When he saw an ad for a full-time math teacher position at Stamford High, he knew he had to apply.

It has only been five weeks, but Frattaroli said the biggest surprise about working at SHS so far is the extreme cellphone addiction among students. He really didn’t know it was that bad (oops). When I asked him if SHS seemed/felt different from when he went to school here, he said, “The new building. Everything else is the same. I keep reminiscing when I’m walking down the halls. I’m pretty sure I know where my locker is. I have so many memories here.”

Frattaroli is currently teaching mostly sophomores. He teaches Geometry, Algebra 1, and Honors Algebra 2. If you see him walking around school, make sure to welcome him (back) to Stamford High!