Friendly Faces at SHS

Members of Friendly Faces

@shs_friendlyfaces

Members of Friendly Faces

Marissa Young, Staff Writer

At Stamford High, we pride ourselves in our diversity. But in addition to our diversity, we pride ourselves in our inclusive environment for people from all different backgrounds. When initially thinking of diversity, the first thought that comes to mind is multiple racial groups, but SHS represents much more than that. Stamford High students represent a wide range of people of different races, religions, ethnicities and needs.

For students with special needs, the Special Education Services department works with each individual student to develop an Individualized Education Plan with the best practices for learning. This Special Education program includes students of all different disabilities, including verbal, nonverbal, visually impaired and autistic. In this program, students can learn science, math and English. They also learn daily living skills, such as personal care, meal preparation, community life, family life and household management.

While other schools might have difficulty welcoming special needs students into their communities, SHS has made it one of our core values. With various clubs and programs that focus on special needs inclusion, the school provides a welcoming environment for people of all needs.

The Friendly Faces club works to give the students with special needs the typical high school experience and ensures that they feel fully included in the student body. Some of the activities Friendly Faces does include sitting with the students at lunch, having activities after school and attending school events with them, such as sporting events and plays.

“I like when people say ‘hi’ to me when I walk in the hallway,” said sophomore Jack Savage, a member of Friendly Faces. For students who can sometimes have difficulty socializing, Friendly Faces provides a more comfortable and laid back environment for its members.

“It’s an environment where they can make mistakes and it is OK, ” said special education teachers Patricia Ashley and Erica Grant.

Stamford High also participates in unified sports, where students with disabilities play with other students in the school. The students form multiple teams and compete against each other as well as against other schools.

One student’s personal aid, Molly Robotti, said that when looking to the future, it’s important to know that “you can learn something from people with special needs, just like how they learn something from you,” and that is what Friendly Faces is all about.

Junior Carly Bennett described her relationship with the club members as a friendship more than anything else. “I sit with them at lunch and we get to talk about our days and laugh with one another, which is what being friends is all about,” she said.

According to Friendly Faces Club President Abby Bushell (who is also editor-in-chief of The Round Table), the special needs students are “some of the kindest and friendliest students at Stamford High.” Consistent with the thoughts of Robotti, Bushell reminds us that “contrary to popular belief, we are truly more alike than different.”

With cooperative teachers, administration, and most importantly, friendly students, SHS has been able to provide students of all different backgrounds with an unforgettable high school experience. “It is a great environment he gets exposed to every day,” said Robotti of one of the members.  

Follow @shs_friendlyfaces on Instagram to see what Friendly Faces is up to. If you would like to make a donation to the special education program at Stamford High, please donate at https://www.gofundme.com/shs-special-education-club. To join the Friendly Faces club, email club President Abby Bushell at [email protected].