The Promenade

Eve Critelli, Staff Writer

Prom season is a significant time in our high school lives. Right up there with graduation, prom has practically become the pinnacle of our time in school.  Girls shop for dresses earlier and earlier every year, sometimes even dropping several hundred dollars for the perfect gown. No longer do people simply invite a peer to the prom, but instead plan elaborate promposals for their prospective date. Some have even compared this dance to the extravagance of weddings.  However, prom was not always the big event that it is today, in fact, it has not always been called “prom.”

Origins

It was first called “the promenade,” meaning “a march of guests into a ballroom constituting the opening of a formal ball.”  This was later shortened to “the prom,” and even more recently, simply “prom.”  Historians believe that proms have existed in colleges for each graduating class, as early as the 1800s, but were not held in high schools until the 1900s. In these early stages, it was a simple tea dance in which students wore their Sunday best. It then grew into an annual banquet with dancing afterward, then into a more formal event, similar to today’s, held in the high school gym.

Present

Prom has since grown more extravagant, moving to hotel ball rooms or private banquet halls. Not only are there now often two proms, for both juniors and seniors, but it has also extended to include a pre- and after-prom. “We did not have our plan for after-prom until the day before, but then it was a lot of fun once we were there.” said Senior Kaitlyn Hutter, recalling her junior prom experience.  When asked about pre-prom, she added that she “technically went to three separate pre-proms just to take pictures.”

The “Promposal”

The evolution of prom has most recently changed with the increasing popularity of the promposal. It is no longer enough to simply ask the girl or boy you wish to attend prom with. Instead, more and more students devise elaborate and clever ways to invite their date, including posters, songs, gifts or even full flash mobs. Promposals are often more over the top and thought out than even a wedding proposal. While a fun addition to the prom season, this element does add an aspect of social pressure and potential embarrassment, for both the asker and askee. “It was stressful trying to come up with a creative way to ask him,” said Senior Alexa Baer. “I knew that he was going to say yes, but I was afraid that the promposal wouldn’t go as scheduled.”

Money

The amount of money a family will spend on the single night has also evolved over the years. Between a tuxedo or dress, a limo, corsage, tickets, shoes, and for girls, hair and makeup, the event can cost upwards of several hundred dollars. Senior class President Andrew Young said, “Prom is really expensive and it takes a lot of fundraising to make it affordable. Venues like the Italian Center and the Greenwich Hyatt charge a hefty sum per person.”