Dear Future SHS Students…

Abby Bushell, Staff Writer

Dear future Stamford High students,

I know you may be reluctant to attend school here, I mean hey, we all were. And trust me, I know it’s not just because of “threatening” tall people and the myths surrounding high school that the media has so kindly created. The good news is that all those rumors are nothing more than just that—myths. No, freshmen are not shoved into lockers, and no, their lunch money does not get stolen. In fact, you’ll probably find comfort in knowing that I can’t name a single person who actually knows the location of his or her locker!

I hope that in writing this I can put most of you worry-warts at ease before you join Black Knight Nation this fall, whether as an incoming freshman or as a transfer student.  Whatever the case, I hope you read this article while you weigh your options. I, for one, know I would have appreciated if someone had done this for me.

Despite the negative attention we’ve received over the past two years, Stamford High is actually a really great place to receive an education.

In fact, most of the news-worthy things that have gone on in these hallowed halls do not even affect the average student. Oddly enough, my parents and people outside of the SHS community (i.e. elderly check-out-ladies at grocery stores whose eyes widen when they notice my SHS sweatshirt and begin interrogating me about our latest “scandal”) actually seem more bothered by the few, though well-covered incidents than me.

I know, I know, you are thinking: “How was your day-to-day routine at school not affected with the incarceration of your principal?” Well, fortunately, if you stay out of trouble, it makes no difference to you whether or not the principal is in for work on a given day. The majority of his or her work is done behind the scenes, and you likely have no idea that many classroom changes and improvements are actually the result of his or her doing.

Now, I’d like to address the most common concerns I’ve heard from prospective newbies to the school, especially incoming freshmen. Many of these concerns are along the lines of:

• “I’m scared of getting beat up.”
  • “There are so many kids there that nobody will notice if I slip through the cracks and become involved in an international drug cartel”
  • “I hear the bathrooms are nasty.”
  • “I won’t be as challenged as the surrounding high schools like Darien High, Greenwich High, Staples, etc.”

I know these are all pressing concerns to the average middle schooler (especially that second one), being that almost every remark on that list has been uttered by my friends.  Heck, back in the day, these were questions I wanted answers to as well.

You will not get beat up at Stamford High if you are merely a passerby. The only way you run the risk of being punched/kicked/hit/etc. is if you voluntarily enter a fight.  Furthermore, what one would see in a typical “fight” at SHS is a lot of insult-hurling, with little to no actual fighting. This is surely because security is on the case within seconds. If anything, it looks like the participators experience more halitosis blown into their faces than punches. Boys fight. Girls fight. This is no new phenomenon, people. FIGHTS WILL HAPPEN, and it is up to you to just walk around them and not block the hallways. Seriously though, fights during school are a rarity, and they never do more than cause some momentary congestion in the hallway if it’s a passing time.

Luckily, there are only local drug cartels at SHS, so there’s not need to lose sleep over the international drug cartels. I’m just kidding. In all honesty, there isn’t much of a drug scene here at Stamford High, especially compared to private schools or rich-rural schools. Kids, this is a very important lesson, so please listen carefully: $ = drugs. The more wealthy the student body is, the more intense the drug-use is. Being a public city school, SHS luckily steers clear of affluent drug-users that are often ubiquitous in private school systems. Furthermore, you won’t slip through the cracks. Teachers do love to say that “now you’re in high school” and “you are independent now, so don’t expect me to baby you,” but it’s all tough love. You will be cared about in this school, your teachers will get to know you well, and they will help you flourish here.

Bathrooms are bathrooms. How many of you have had countless amazing experiences in public restrooms? Yeah, that’s what I thought. The most important part is that they are kept clean, and are actually (dare I say) pleasant to use, especially in the New Building, where freshman have the majority of their classes. While there is some graffiti in bathrooms, it is always encouraging, like “love yourself” and “flush plz.”

I don’t care what you have been told about the quality of education at SHS. I am a current student here and this is what I have to say. Like anywhere, some teachers are better at their job than others. However, here at SHS teachers truly teach to the best of their ability. If you don’t understand something, teachers are more than happy to sit down with you and go over it. If, for some reason, they are unavailable when you ask, someone in your class understands the material and he or she would be willing to help. SHS students help one another out, and it shows. We send seniors to great schools every year, and they go on to do great things post-college. The academics here are just as challenging, just as stressful, but most importantly, just as fun as any other schools in Connecticut.

Wherever you decide to attend high school, know that SHS wants you and everything you have to offer.

Love,

Abby