Where Are We Now?

A Status Update on Stamford High, the Board of Education, and the Stamford Public Schools System

Andrew Young, Editor-in-Chief

One year ago today, former principal Donna Valentine and former assistant principal Roth Nordin were arrested for failing to report a sexual relationship between former teacher Danielle Watkins and a student.  Since then, Stamford High School, the Board of Education, and the Stamford Public Schools system have been under pressure from the press, teachers, parents, and students.  To date, not all issues have been resolved, and some do not have an end in sight.

There are expected to be more open seats than usual at the Board of Education election in November.  In July, Board of Education member John Leydon Jr. formally resigned from his position, after discovering that he cannot serve on the board because his wife works for Stamford Public Schools.  Approximately two weeks later, Jerry Pia also announced his resignation, but has since announced a change in heart.  Lorraine Olson, the Board of Education’s Vice President, announced that she will not be defending her seat in the upcoming November election.  In August, Dolores Burgess formally resigned from her position as well.  While some believe that one-third of the board has given up their seats due to acrimony between members, no one has cited such animosity in their resignations.

The Board of Education is currently in the process of searching for a new superintendent for Stamford Public Schools.  Superintendent Winifred Hamilton will be retiring on December 31, 2015, and it is expected that a replacement will be found by then.  Board President Jackie Heftman and board member Julia Wade are leading the search.  In an email on September 9, 2015, Heftman told The Round Table, “We are currently in the process of hiring a search firm. Focus groups will be held in the fall to help the board develop the profile for our next superintendent. Students’ voices will be heard. The plan is to have either a permanent or interim superintendent in place on January 1, 2016.”  At Tuesday’s public Board of Education meeting, she announced that the goal is to have hired an interim superintendent to shadow Hamilton by December.  Heftman further expressed a desire to hire someone without significant ties to the district.

Furthermore, Valentine is currently challenging her termination.  Her attorney, Mark Sherman, told The Round Table via email, “Dr. Valentine is challenging the termination of her employment through the proper legal channels.  We are in the middle of a closed-door arbitration process.”

Since the beginning of this school year, students have been predicting a brighter future for Stamford High School.  Starting this year, former Dean of Students Rafael Escobar and former Danbury High School Dean of Student Support Matthew Laskowski have been hired as assistant principals.  Former Stamford High, Westhill, and Norwalk High School Assistant Principal Raymond Manka has been hired as the new SHS Principal.  When asked how the presence of these new administrators compares to those in years past, Senior Mackenzie Brown said, “Mr. Manka and the other administrators seem more involved compared to Valentine, which makes the school feel like a more united place.”  Students also cite a change in the overall culture at Stamford High School.  Senior Doron Feller said, “I feel like the school is a much happier place.  The teachers and students all seem to be interested in making the school a better place.”

The waters have calmed over the course of a year and the school district is looking to move forward and put the scandal in the past.  Students are looking to the leadership of our new administrators to help overcome our past issues.