Students Showcase Talent in Annual Senior Scenes

Eight+seniors+pose+for+picture+after+opening+night.+Students+pictured+are+the+following+%28L-R%29%2C+William+Perillo%2C+William+Hunt%2C+Rachel+Steinmetz%2C+Savannah+Viggiano%2C+Meghan+Rowley%2C+Taylor+Garland%2C+Alex+Brokowski%2C+and++Julia+Fruithandler.+

Eight seniors pose for picture after opening night. Students pictured are the following (L-R), William Perillo, William Hunt, Rachel Steinmetz, Savannah Viggiano, Meghan Rowley, Taylor Garland, Alex Brokowski, and Julia Fruithandler.

Shaina Lubliner, Staff Writer

After only two months of tireless effort, preparation, and publicity, the Strawberry Hill Players presented its 16th annual “Senior Scenes” on January 9 and 10. Each year since 1999, seniors of the drama club select a 10 minute scene to direct using the underclassmen as actors. The program has been beneficial in creating lasting friendships between all grade levels, as well as giving seniors the opportunity to try their hand at directing. As usual, the Strawberry Hill Players did not disappoint, and the level of professionalism and dedication was evident even from the last seat in the house.

The show included an eclectic range of scenes, ranging from dramas such as “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” by Tennessee Williams, directed by AITE senior Alex Brokowski, to an unorthodox spin-off of Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”  titled “Under the Balcony” by Bruce Kane, directed by SHS senior Meghan Rowley.

The directors were all four-year members of the drama club, many of whom began their careers as Strawberry Hill Players in Senior Scenes their freshman year. The directors included both actors and techies. Senior William Hunt, director of “Family 2.0” by Walter Wykes said, “As an actor, directing was an incredible experience. It let me be the one to control the scene but also allowed me to sit back and watch my cast grow. Directing can be challenging at times, but I’d love to try it again if the opportunity arises.” Rachel Steinmetz, senior and president of the drama club, said, “It was very strange as a techie being on the other side of the curtain, watching and directing the show,” after her scene, “The Philadelphia” by David Ives.

Of course, the show would not have been possible without the wonderful mentoring of SHS alum, Matt Blank, who returned to the Players to teach the seniors about the process of directing. “I was very proud of every single one of them for putting in so much time and dedication to their scenes and guiding their casts to a wonderful performance,” Blank said after the show.

One of the most important lessons learned from this year’s “Senior Scenes” was that the show must go on. Taylor Garland, a senior from AITE, directed “Variations on the Death of Trotsky” by David Ives. Due to an unforeseen circumstance, one of Garland’s actors had to quit the show a few days before opening. However, Garland worked quickly to fill the role, and brought back SHS class of 2014, Andrew Rabita, to step in. Garland said about the situation, “I’m just glad that there are people who had so much fun in the program that they are willing to come back.”

The bonds created at “Senior Scenes” are just one piece of the puzzle that creates the Strawberry Hill Players family. When freshman Isabella Viggiano was asked about her experience acting in a scene from “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof,” she said, “I learned important acting lessons from my director, Alex, about diction and volume. I really look up to and respect Alex as a director, actress, and friend.”

If “Senior Scenes” is any indicator of how the rest of this season is going to be for the Strawberry Hill Players, the stage sure is bright. Bravo!