Strawberry Hill Players put on Thoroughly Enjoyable Millie!

Claire Cohen, Staff Writer

The SHS Drama Club is presenting a new musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie. This play is about a mid-western stereotype moving to the big city. She gets thrown around and finds herself at the Pricilla Hotel. As she grows into the city she makes friends, has a good time and meets her love along the way.

Millie, who is played by sophomore Erin Maher, is hopeful that she will become the “modern woman,” one who picks reason over love in the search of a husband. She is willing to do whatever it takes to get to where she wants to go. She makes a best friend at the Hotel Pricilla where she is staying. Her new best friends name is Miss Dorothy, an aspiring actress. Played by senior Lea Carpanzano, she is an orphan from California that wants to get the real life experience and Millie is more than happy to oblige for the first two weeks rent money.

As the story develops we see Millie take an interest in her boss, Trevor Grayson played by senior Bennett Leeds, but is soon swept off her feet by the fast flying and versatile Jimmy, played by senior Matt Sweeny. She needs to decide; will she follow her head for Mr. Grayson or her heart for Jimmy? She gets some much-needed advice from singer Muzzy Van Hossmere, who knows a few things about love. Muzzy is played by sophomore Isabella Sanchez and plays the mother figure to Millie for most of the musical.

This musical is filled with heartfelt songs and scenes along with some evil ones. We meet Mrs. Meers who in the beginning seems to be an innocent old Chinese lady who helps newbie’s to the city. She takes girls in until they can find a job and gives them a place to stay and can wait for a few weeks until they pay. We learn later that she keeps up the hotel by keeping an eye out for someone that won’t be missed in the world and making sure the girls end in the Far East as slaves. She just this with the help of her two helpers Bun Foo and Ching Ho who actually just want their mother back and are really great at heart. Mrs. Meers abuses their naivety and gets them to help her kidnap these girls and sell them to the highest bidder.

There were many outstanding voices but what I most paid attention to was the dancing. It was very “period,” and the cast did it brilliantly; the dance moves they showed were very difficult and the whole cast put all they could into it (and it paid off). Another thing that was very true to the era was the set design, done by Ms. Nerreau, which added personality and a feeling of authenticity to the whole production. Costumes, provided by Simply Costumes, were also a big aspect of the show, as well as the unique use of a projection board thanks to senior Andrew Rabita.

Overall I had a great two hours watching this musical, I strongly suggest it to anyone who wants to have a good time watching a feel good musical. The cast and crew did an amazing job putting this production together and everyone involved obviously worked very hard to make this its best for the audience’s enjoyment. Thoroughly Modern Millie is a musical for all ages and will be thoroughly enjoyed by everyone who watches it.