The Round Table

• SHS Lip Dub to Take Place Wednesday, January 30

• The Round Table has been named Gold Medalists by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for the 2017-2018 adjudication period.

2018 Girls Lacrosse Preview

Lea Marcinczyk and Delfina Umpierrez

Lea Marcinczyk and Delfina Umpierrez, Staff Writers

We sat down with Girls Varsity Lacrosse Captains Kelly Jagodzinski and Sydney Leeds to get a sneak peek at what we could look forward to in their upcoming season.

During the interview, both Jagodzinski and Leeds expressed their eagerness for the new season to begin. Jagodzinski stated that she “is excited for their new coach and what he has in store for the upcoming season.” Coach Paletta is an experienced lacrosse player whose extensive knowledge of the game will result in huge improvements in the team’s performance on the field.

Jagodzinski also said that one of her main goals is to encourage her team to work as hard as possible, specifically so they can attain the City Championship.

Jagodzinski hopes she and the Black Knights can improve on last year’s season, where they finished with zero victories. Their desire to win has inspired a rigorous preseason, where they have trained to strengthen their stick skills and endurance. Every Sunday, the squad plays in a box league at Chelsea Piers, where they battle against “pretty competitive” teams “from the FCIAC and schools from the Westchester areas.” Then, during the week, they have workouts after school every Tuesday and Thursday, while additionally having practices every Monday at Bobby Valentine’s Sports Academy.

Leeds said that she is also “looking forward to the upcoming season” because “she is excited for her last season as a senior and getting the girls to work hard as well as ourselves.” Leeds and Jagodzinski were captains as juniors; they are both keen on being effective, impactful captains as seniors.

Jagodzinski admitted, “even though it is exciting to be playing our last season it is also very upsetting; even though I am excited to play in college I am still sad to leave my team behind and start a new life. Being a captain is an honor.”

Leeds added, “being a senior is definitely upsetting because I have played lacrosse all throughout high school and my whole life, so having it end like this is a little emotional and it definitely is an advantage being the captain and being able to lead the team.” They are both excited to lead the underclassmen towards more victories and to form a strong team bond.

Both Leeds and Jagodzinski will continue their lacrosse careers at Division 2 programs. Leeds is attending Merrimack College, while Jagodzinski is taking her talents to Southern Connecticut State University.

Come support the team on Sunday, March 31, as they host Guilford at 10:30 a.m.