Black Knights Basketball Hope For a Strong Comeback

Boys Basketball Head Coach Danny Melzer is looking forward to a long season filled with hard work and dedication.

Boys Basketball Head Coach Danny Melzer is “looking forward to a long season filled with hard work and dedication.”

Christian Tomaj, Staff Writer

After a very successful season last year the Stamford High School boys’ basketball team, run by Coach Danny Melzer, are determined to keep the success up with another winning season.

Despite losing to Bridgeport Central in the FCIAC Semifinals at Bridgeport last year, Seniors Kwe Askew, James Gronberg, and Gianni Carwin are more determined than ever to be back for another shot.

I had the chance to sit down with James Gronberg the starting point guard for the Black Knights.

CT: “Do you think the team will back in the FCIAC final four again this year?

JG: “We feel we have the tools to get far in the FCIAC run we just have to keep the right mindset throughout the year and take no teams lightly.”

CT: “How motivated are this year’s senior to have a good season and make a playoff run?”

JG: “For me this is my last year playing basketball at this level so I will do anything in my power to give my team the best chance to win a championship and the same goes for all the other seniors. We are all veterans now and we know what we have to do to be successful.”

I also asked Coach Danny Melzer a couple of questions about the upcoming season.

CT: How far do you think the team can go this year?

DM: “We have the pieces to win the championship and were going to need to work hard, push each other, and come together as a team.

CT: How determined are the seniors?

DM: “Very determined coming off a good season this group really wants to take the next step and win a Championship. The senior class since all they got here has seen the varsity teams win a lot all four years and they’re hungry to win a championship.

Talking to Melzer and Gronberg makes me realize the drive these Knights have for   the upcoming season and a spot in the championship.