Girls Lacrosse Gets a New Coach!

Madison Johnson

Girls Lacrosse Team sporting their signature bucket hats.

Madison Johnson, Staff Writer

The Stamford High girls’ lacrosse team has faced much change in the past few months.  Former coach Greg Lewis stepped down about a month before the beginning of the season to pursue another coaching opportunity at Darien High School.  This change left Athletic Director James Moriarty scrambling to hire a coach in time for tryouts on March 23.

Moriarty decided upon Allison Davis to assume the position of head coach and Todd Parness to assist and coach the junior varsity team.  Moriarty is confident in Davis’s ability to lead the Lady Knights through a successful season.  He shared that, “I think she’s going to be a positive influence.”  He believes that “assistant coach Todd Parness will help as well.”

Lewis said that he is “sad to leave.”  The former coach is excited to see what the girls do this year, because he believes that “they are a very promising group.”

Both new coaches are optimistic about the season ahead.  Davis explained, “My decision to apply for the head coaching job stemmed from volunteering at another high school last season.  I wanted to branch out on my own and wanted to give my level of commitment to the girls and the program.”  When asked about her goals for this season, Davis said, “my goal is to have the girls develop as players as well as a team, and to ultimately win and be proud of how we played.”  Another (more comical) goal Davis has is to beat Fairfield Warde, where her father is the head coach.  Parness said he is “excited to come back after not coaching last season.”

Despite all of the recent changes, players are remaining optimistic about the season ahead.  Junior Jenn Krupa said, “I’m really excited for this upcoming season.  Many people have done stuff in the offseason to prepare, and I think that everyone on the team handled the coach switch well.  I have a feeling this is going to be a successful season, and I can’t wait to start.”

The team will open up their season against Brien McMahon on April 8.