These Fashion Businesses are Making a Difference

Bevy Rutledge, Staff Writer

Giving back has never been so easy. While you’re shopping online for your favorite articles of clothing, accessories and everyday items, take a look at these ten unique brands and businesses. Some are more charitable than others but they all make a huge difference in cool ways, some are helping to make some big changes right in our back yard!

1. Ivory Ellpic-1a- a clothing line that donates 10 percent of their net profits to Save The Elephants and other charities that include E.C.F (Elephants Crisis Fund) and M.I.K.E (Monitors the Illegal Killing of Elephants). They are striving to help reduce poaching, habitat loss due to human expansion and human conflicts with elephants. According to Ivory Ella’s information page they have donated more than $165,000 between all of the causes.

2. Elephant Pants- This brand specifically donates to AWF (American Wildlife Foundation) to save the Elephants. Their mission is clearly stated on their website; the money that is donated funds the rangers that patrol the reservations, they watch for people, poachers and weapons; they also find and destroy hunting camps. The products themselves are also made by women in Thailand, but Elephant Pants does not only give their employees several health benefits, but they are paid double the typical wage in Thailand are provided with a great environment to work in.

pic2

3. Bangs Shoes- Bangs shoes donate 20 percent of their profits to help people in the U.S. and arounpic3d the world start a business. The help people become their own bosses, provide for themselves and support entrepreneurs in general. Every month Bangs Shoes picks a few entrepreneurs to invest in their product or business ideas.

pic4

4. Bene Scarves- Bene is a small business that sells scarves to educate girls in Ghana. Their collection of scarves are inspired by the culture where this all began, and they are committed to providing an education to girls in Ghana by sponsoring tuition, books, supplies and the uniforms for the girls to continue their education.

p5

5. Foto Strap- This American company makes real personalized leather camera straps for a great cause. For every purchase, they give 10 percent of the proceeds to support Fotolanthropy, a non-profit organization that documents inspiring true stories, through photography and film, of people that have overcome adversity. When you purchase a camera strap you can personalize your purchase by adding text, a short phrase, initials, a traditional monogram or even a business logo to the leather shoulder pad that comes with your Foto strap.

p6

6. Half United- This unique U.S. Company is a very generous and impactful charity. Half United gives seven meals to children in need with every purchase. Some of the places they provide meals too are the United States, Fiji, Cambodia, Liberia, Nepal and Haiti.

7. The Giving Keys- The Giving Keys began partnering with several companies including Chrysalis. They are a non-profit organization that helps find more employees who were looking for a second chance for homeless and low-income individuals by providing the resources and support needed to find and retain employment. LIFT, an organization that believes the causes of poverty are uniquely personal, and the solutions should be as well. LIFT helps people establish themselves personals, socially and financially so they can have a stable foundation. And the Downtown Women’s Center (DWC) provides permanent, comfortable, safe and affordable housing to help people successfully transition out of homelessness.

p7

p8

8. Harry’s Razors- not only are Harry’s Razors well-made and inexpensive, they donate 1 percent of their sales and 1 percent of their time and services to organizations, or as they call it the “one plus one program.” Their current partner is City Year; they are working to bridge the gap in high-poverty schools and communities by providing the resources they need to help students succeed.

p99. Tentree- This cool U.S. born clothing company plants 10 trees with every single purchase. They hold themselves environmentally responsible in production and in the reforestation process. They plant the local trees in the places that need it the most, such as Madagascar and Ethiopia.

10. S’well Bottles-  S’well bottles are beautifully crafted water bottles that keep drinks cold for 24 hours ap10nd hot for 12. The company’s CEO and Founder Sarah Kauss are hoping to reduce plastic bottle usage with her bottles. The company supports the U.S. Fund for UNICEF as well;they’ve been donating $200,000 since 2015 to help provide clean water to the world’s most vulnerable children. UNICEF works in more than 100 countries around the world to improve access to safe water and sanitation facilities in schools and communities.