Vineyard Vines is Threading its Way Through Stamford High

Senior Ross Nazaire is showing off his green and  navy Shep shirt.

Elana Rosinksy

Senior Ross Nazaire is showing off his green and navy Shep shirt.

Elana Rosinsky, Staff Writer

On an average walk down the halls of Stamford High, it is without a doubt you’ll see numerous students dressed in the popular brand Vineyard Vines. Known for their bright, pastel colors and lively patterns, Vineyard Vines has become quite an icon for preppy clothing. The brand has a very nautical feel, as their signature symbol is a smiling whale and many of their designs feature sailboats and anchors.

Though the brand launched in July of 1998, the clothing has taken the halls by storm over the past year and a half. The company originally began selling men’s ties but have expanded to men’s, women’s, and kids clothing that include casual wear, swim wear, bags, belts, wallets, and much more. Their pieces range from down coats and pocket squares to phone cases and drink thermoses.

The only drawback that students are finding about the brand is its lofty prices. Men’s dress shirts go for anywhere between $80 and $125 dollars. A similar shirt can be bought at Macy’s Department Store for $35 to $55 dollars. “Most things are reasonable,” said senior Victoria Vortman, “but some things can get a bit pricey.” The slogan for the company is “Everyday should feel this good,” but this begs the question: can everyday afford to feel this good?

Despite the cost, one might argue that it is no more expensive than any of its main competitors. A button down from Ralph Lauren or J Crew would cost you just as much as a button down from Vineyard Vines. It is a luxury brand, so in turn, it has luxury prices.

If you were looking to check out the latest in preppy fashion, the closest Vineyard Vines stores are on Greenwich Avenue in Greenwich and on Elm Street in New Canaan. They have also recently re-vamped their website for easy navigation.

Photo By Elana Rosinsky  Junior Gianna Garufi looks cute and casual in a white long sleeve hoodie with pink writing

Photo By Elana Rosinsky
Junior Gianna Garufi looks cute and casual in a white long sleeve hoodie with pink writing.

Photo by Elana Rosinsky  Geoffrey Cahr (left), Ozzie Acuna (middle), and Cris Diaz (right) pose in their long sleeve tops.
Photo By Elana Rosinsky
Cris Diaz (left), Ozzie Acuna (middle), and Geoffrey Cahr (right) pose in their long sleeve tops.