Apple Controversy: Is U2 for You?

Apple Controversy: Is U2 for You?

Adrianne Caitan, Staff Writer

For those who have stepped into the mainstream life of being an iPhone user, you may have recently stumbled across some unfamiliar songs in your music library. U2, a rock band formed in 1976, released their 19th album, Songs of Innocence, on September 10, 2014. Not only did they release a new album, they also made sure that every iPhone user would have the album available for free on their phones, thus creating extensive controversy among the iPhone community.

The students of Stamford High School have very diverse music preferences. Some iPhone users treasure this gratuity that U2 and Apple has granted them; those without iPhones, however, are envious. “I almost wish I was an iPhone user”, said Samsung owner senior, Sam Berkrot. Unfortunately for the U2-loving, non-iPhone owning people out there like Sam, not everyone gets to experience this freebie. Junior Mia Vitti had very positive reactions to the album. “It gets me going in the morning,” she said with a content smile. Nonetheless, not only are there people who adore this gift, but also those like senior Kellie McManaman who were unpleasantly surprised about the “obnoxious music that should not be allowed on peoples’ phones.” “There is no reason for it and I want it off my phone,” she added. Junior Gianna Garufi also shows animosity towards the album. “It’s killing me,” she said.

U2 is one of the most well-known rock bands in the world, but this sentiment is not shared among Stamford High School students. A recent student poll showed that only 58 out of 324 randomly selected SHS students actually had knowledge of this renowned rock band’s existence prior to the albums inclusion onto their phones. In contrast, according to http://www.rollingstone.com, U2 is “the biggest band in the world.”

If you are among the people who despise this so-called atrocity, the removal process is rather simple. Click on the link below and follow the instructions to remove this album off of your iTunes music library.

http://bit.ly/1moaXto