Stamford High Receives Continued NEASC Accreditation

Kerry Fahan, News Editor

After months of preparation and further review, it was announced on April 22 that the Committee on Public Secondary Schools of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) suggest that Stamford High receive continued accreditation. The Committee also placed the school on “warning” in the area of school leadership, allowing until December to show improvement in this area. After visiting in October 2014, the committee prepared a report on the school and its progress.

Superintendent Dr. Winifred Hamilton commented, “We are pleased with the committee’s decision for continued accreditation and the many commendations given to Stamford High School.” Yet she hoped for continued growth within the school. “I am committed to supporting Stamford High School with developing priorities for improvement in the area of School Culture and Leadership,” Hamilton said.

The Association works with many schools to maintain and improve education. Over 1,850 schools are a part of this organization, but only 650 have actually been accredited. But some students at Stamford High don’t share the administrators’ sense of happiness.

“The school changed everything just for that period that the committee visited. Things like connection time and a new set of Stamford High values were created just to pass and not to properly change the school,” said a Stamford High Junior who did not want his name used. Mackenzie Brown echoed similar concerns. She said, “I’m surprised that we passed because of the [prior] published suggestions to improve the school. They seem like huge, unavoidable problems.”