Stamford Softball: Postseason Recap

Kristin Osburn, Staff Writer

The softball team went into the postseason with an 18-2 record.  When finding out they were placed as third seed in the FCIAC tournament, they were excited.  Being the higher seed meant it would be a home game for the Lady Knights in the first round of FCIAC’s.  They were set to play the six seed, Fairfield Ludlowe, at their home field.  The team had beat Ludlowe twice during the regular season.  They Lady Knights played hard but came up short  in the ninth inning, when they lost to Ludlowe 4-1.  “We had a good defensive game, we just struggled at the plate. But it was a well played game. It could have went either way, they just came out on top in big situations,” said by sophomore, Dana Serricchio.

Having an entire week of not having a game, due to the fact that they were not able to participate in the rest of the FCIAC tournament, gave them the perfect opportunity to practice and perfect all the skills they might have lacked in past games.  Pleased to know that their hard work payed off in the regular season, they were seeded fifth in the class LL division for the CIAC tournament.  

For the first round of the CIAC tournament, they were matched to play Danbury (28 seed) at home.  During the regular season they beat them 13-1.  The SHS softball team beat them 10-3, helping them advance to the second round of the CIAC tournament.  Junior, Gloria Mattioli believed, “It was a great feeling to beat them first round, and was the confidence boost we needed up at bat, which carried us through the next couple rounds.”  They went on to play second round and beat Newington (seed 12), 9-0, then played and beat Amity (seed 13) in the quarterfinals.  The semi-finals was a big deal for everyone on the team.

Trumbull (seed 9) was a major competitor during the regular season, but the lady knights were still able to beat them 3-0.  To play them in the semi-finals again, they knew what to expect and was ready to play. Senior captain, Tori Cuscuna shared how she “was confident to play against Trumbull in the semifinal game.”  Both teams battled really hard the entire game.  Up until the top of seventh inning, it was tied 0-0, one batter from Trumbull gets up, hits a homerun over center field to now make the game 1-0 Trumbull.  Another girl gets on base and the batter afterwards hits a homerun over right field, causing Allie Buzzeo to fall on the fence in an effort to catch the ball.  The game was 3-0 in the top of the seventh inning.

“It was a tough moment knowing that my team’s season and my softball career might be over within the next half inning. But I knew we just had to make the best of the end of the game, so whether we won or lost, we were fighting until the end. Overall we had a great four years and whatever way the game ended I wouldn’t have any regrets from playing with these girls,” said senior captain, Sara Staley.

Stamford was able to get out of the inning with Trumbull only scoring those three runs and tried to score as many runs as they could to beat them.  However their efforts were not enough.  They lost the game and Trumbull went on to win the State Championship.  “Although we didn’t bring home the titles, I couldn’t be happier with this group of girls. We accomplished a lot this season and never gave up,” said senior captain, Maddie Santora.  The team finished their season with a 21-4 record.