Potential For Stamford High Girls Tennis Team Is Undoubtedly High

Randy Malak, Sports Editor

The Stamford High Girls Tennis team has had a pretty mediocre season thus far, as they approach the midway mark with a subpar 3-10 record in the FCIAC. However, the real story is not in their record but in the very impressive freshman twins that they have acquired. Taylor and Devon Yaghmaie electrify the tennis court each and every time they face their opponents. Both girls have been dominant in their careers at Stamford High, and have already proved to be promising athletes. The Yaghmaies already have seemingly impossible wins over top teams in the FCIAC such as Darien, New Canaan, and Greenwich. Even more exciting than their tremendous skill on the court is their ability to cooperate, display their leadership, and most importantly, perform under pressure. Girls Tennis head coach Matt Gladstone exclaims that the two girls are “extremely skilled, and elite players” adding that they have come “prepackaged.” Gladstone repeatedly spoke about the potential that the freshman girls have brought to the table, stating that “they have the potential to lead the team to greater heights.”

Though the girls season has not gone the way they wanted, there is much to look forward to, especially with the Yaghmaie’s leading the way. It has been noted that a lot of the time sports such as tennis are overlooked by baseball in the spring and never get the kind of recognition that it truly deserves in order to become more of a dominant and successful program. However, the performances and the intensity that the Yaghmaies have displayed in their time on the court truly legitimizes the sport.

Coach Gladstone made it a point to include that the success and development of the team is a result of the collaboration of the Stamford High Athletic council. He gives even more credit to principal Ray Manka and his administrative staff, suggesting that “success on the tennis court is in direct relation to the success in the classroom. I credit the improvement in tennis directly to the improvement in the school as a whole.”

The Yaghmaies and the rest of the girls tennis team will be back in action Tuesday, May 2, as they are on the road taking on Fairfield Warde High School at 4:00 p.m.