Stamford Volleyball Wins First Ever State Championship

Jon Saint, Sports Editor

On Saturday, November 19th, the Stamford High volleyball team won the Class LL state championship against conference rival Ridgefield Tigers. The win marked their first ever state championship in their long history.

The Black Knights rallied after losing the first set to win three straight sets and clinch the title. The games, however, were all hard fought battles consisting of runs by each team, but in the end Stamford’s strong play prevailed and they were able to work as a team to overcome all of the obstacles thrown at them. Stamford was buoyed by strong play from seniors Liisa Balazs, Jayla Wilson and especially from junior Andrea O’Connor. O’Connor also was named Most Valuable Player after the game, a well deserved honor that summed up her season with the team as she provided superstar caliber play game in and game out.

This win came on the heels of a win in the FCIAC championship that came just two weeks prior on November 6th. They beat Brien McMahon in an exhilarating 5-set match that had everyone on the edge of their seats. Amazingly, the last time the girls lost was against McMahon on September 28th. They ended their season on a 17 game win streak.

Balazs said: “It feels amazing having been the first team ever to win both the fciac championship and state championship at shs, it shows how far we have come and how hard we worked.”

It was a magical run for the Lady Knights and it proved to be validation of all of the hard work they put in this season. The win sends off a very strong senior class who have been working to get better throughout their tenure at Stamford High.

Wilson said “As a freshman, I had no idea we would be able to win a state championship and now that it’s happened it is just a surreal feeling and I am so happy I got to leave with a win.” No doubt the seniors will be missed next year however the future looks bright with returning players Gloria Mattioli, Claire Dardis, Ariana Manco and of course, reigning MVP Andrea O’Connor

Congrats on an amazing season!