Lady Knights Basketball Team Is Ready To Roll

Courtesy of the girls basketball team

Justin Wexler, Staff Writer

The 2016 season is off to a great start for the Black Knights girls basketball team.  The squad is currently 4-1 and their annual Christmas Tournament.  The team has a lot in store for this season with very high expectations.

After only graduating two seniors last year the Lady Knights look to improve their previous year’s record of 17-3, as well as trying to capture both the FCIAC and CIAC titles.  Among the returns to the team are veteran coach Diane Burns, as well as stand-out player Tiana England, who over the past offseason committed to take her talents after high school to St. John’s University.

The Knights set a goal for this upcoming season to improve from last season.  The team is filled with seasoned veterans including several seniors.  The FCIAC is filled with difficult teams including Greenwich, Fairfield Warde, and Ridgefield.  However, Stamford is projected to be up there with the best this season.  They opened the season with a tough match up with Ridgefield, which they lost 64-41.  This was a tough loss for the Knights, yet they anticipate revenge against Ridgefield if they meet again in the postseason.  Besides this one loss, the Knights have been flawless.

After watching the athletes play, Coach Burns sees several underclassmen stepping into big roles for this upcoming season.  These players include Andrea O’Connor, Claudia Moses, and Alexa Kellner.  Some upperclassmen standouts include Marthe Guirand, Camille Martinez, Madison Johnson, and Mackenzie Brown.  With a great mix of some seasoned veterans as well as some first time varsity players the Knights should be fun to watch this season.

To Tiana England, this season will be the same as every other.  She still plans to play hard “Stamford” basketball and continue the rich tradition of winning at Stamford High.  She plans to play a fast pace game pushing the ball down the court.  England wants to be a force to be reckoned with by other teams in the FCIAC.

The Knights have a lot of talent this season and look to do big things in their conference as well as in Connecticut.  If the ladies stay healthy and play up to their potential the Kuzco Gym is going to be an exciting place to be on game-nights.