Girls Volleyball Dominates the Competition

The team huddles together before a game.

Elana Rosinsky and Renee Cooper, Staff Writers

Despite losing five key seniors, the Stamford High Girls Volleyball team starts their season with an impressive 7-0 and record. After defeating Weston, Fairfield Warde, Westhill, Brien McMahon, Danbury, Bridgeport Central, and Bassick, they are a top contender for the FCIAC conference. Over the last two to three years the team has reached successful milestones and senior captains Nicole Pease and Brianna Arias plan to lead the team to another prosperous season.

Extraordinary player and 6’0 middle blocker, senior Anne Margaret Eilersten has stepped up to the plate by becoming the first fall 2014 Ruden Report Player of the Week. Her skills have elevated the team through a game average of 22 kills, 14 digs, and 4 blocks. “We want to win a state championship and FCIAC championship,” Eilersten said. “We plan on coming together as a unit and making this the best season it can be.”

But overall, their success can be contributed to their outstanding teamwork. Even though there are no juniors on the team, up and coming sophomores to watch include Liisa Balasz, Sara Stayley, and Jayla Wilson.

On Wednesday, September 24, the Knights put their perfect season on the line as they take on also undefeated Darien at home in the Kuczo Gym at 3pm. Please come support our fellow lady Knights!