The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

Great Tech Gifts Under $100 for the Holidays

Nicolas Lucente, Science/Technology Editor

These tech items are what caught my eye for this year’s holiday season…

Amazon Echo Dot

The Amazon Echo Dot is the new hands-free, voice controlled device that will elevate your home to another level. The second generation Echo Dot is capable of connecting the various smart home devices so you are able to control your house’s lights, fans, garage doors, thermostats, sprinklers, switches, and many more all with your voice. Alexa, the friendly voice of the Echo Dot, can also connect your system to WiFi and play any song at your request. Not loud enough for you? Ask Alexa to connect to your speaker to crank up the volume of your favorite songs. Feeling hungry? Ask Alexa to order your favorite pizza. Oh no, you’re late to the party! Ask Alexa to order you an Uber.

The Amazon Echo Dot is a great present and only comes in at $49.99 which is a great price for all that it can do for you.

Nintendo NES Classic Edition

The Nintendo NES Classic Edition is the remastered version the Nintendo NES that was released in 1985. The Classic Edition comes with 30 classic NES games that will bring fond memories to those who grew up on the system. Not only will the Classic Edition feel exactly like the NES from the 80s, but it will be a lot easier to use. The new system is about the size of your hand, yes your hand, and the system plugs right into your TV nice and easy.

The Nintendo NES Classic Edition comes in at a very low $59.99. This may sound like something out of a dream, but there is more to it then just walking into the store and buying it off the shelf. The console was released some places with limited quantity in early November. The resale price has since skyrocketed, but you will get another chance to buy the console at retail price once again. On December 20th at Bestbuy the console will be re-releasing. If you want one you better be ready on your computer or at Best Buy’s door as soon as they open otherwise you will miss this great opportunity.

Google Chromecast Ultra

The Google Chromecast Ultra is the newest edition of the Chromecast software from Google. The Chromecast Ultra is capable of streaming 4K Ultra HD & HDR picture quality over your WiFi network connecting directly into your TV’s HDMI port. The newest model also runs incredibly smoother and does not buffer nearly as much as it used to. With the Chromecast Ultra, you are able to stream any video from any app that supports Chromecast (which is most) directly to your TV with clear and crisp images.

The Google Chromecast Ultra comes in at a price of $69. A fantastic price for a useful tool for everyday of the week and would be a great choice of gift for this upcoming holiday season.

Samsung Gear VR 

The Samsung Gear VR is a technological phenomenon. As long as your gift receiver owns a Galaxy smartphone, they can snap it into the Gear VR and just enjoy the experience. Not only will they be able to explore 360° worlds around them, they will be able to play virtual reality video games that will blow their mind. Everyone should experience this for themselves because it truly is a fun experience.

The Samsung Gear VR comes in at a price of $99.99. A little more expensive then the other items on this list, but is worth the insanely fun experience that comes with the world of virtual reality.

Enjoy the 2016 holiday season and enjoy all the new tech out there!